Teletherapy, or telehealth, has been growing in popularity for those seeking counseling due to its convenience and confidentiality. When you choose High Focus Teletherapy, you take an essential first step in achieving a happier, healthier life. Here are some tips to help you prepare for teletherapy.
How to Prepare for Teletherapy
With teletherapy, it is not the same as being in the same room with your therapist. Here are a few things you should consider to make the most of your teletherapy sessions:
- Quiet Space: Make sure you are in a quiet space where you won’t be disturbed or heard by others. Great spots would be in a bedroom, home office, basement, large closet, or even in your parked car.
- Do Not Disturb: If you live with others, ask that they don’t disturb you during your session time. Also, ask that they refrain from using the Wi-Fi so that your connection is not slowed down.
- White Noise: Consider putting a white noise machine, small fan, or a speaker with music playing just outside of the door to the room you will be in so that roommates or family members cannot overhear your conversation.
- Proper Equipment: Make sure the device you are using (a computer, tablet, or smartphone) has a working camera and a microphone, and that it is fully charged.
- Headphones: Consider using headphones or earbuds plugged into your device. This will improve sound quality and help to maintain privacy.
- Speak Clearly: Speak clearly so that your mental health therapist can understand what you are saying. Check in periodically to make sure that you are both on the same page.
- Eye Contact: Try to make “eye contact” with your camera so that the connection between you and your therapist is stronger.
- Be Fully Present: Treat your telehealth therapy session as if you are meeting with your therapist in person. Avoid engaging in any tasks you wouldn’t do if you and your therapist were meeting in their office, such as folding laundry, smoking, or cooking.
How to Join a Session
High Focus Centers uses BlueJeans for teletherapy, making it easy to connect with one of our experienced therapists. After you receive the invitation email from Admissions, use the link to log in at the scheduled date and time.
This video demonstrates how to log in and participate in a meeting via a web browser:
Start Teletherapy Today
High Focus Centers is committed to providing effective treatment to its clients. With teletherapy, adults and teenagers can receive mental health and substance abuse treatment from the comfort of home. Call 800-877-3628 to learn more about online therapy for mental health and substance abuse.